In between dominating World Tour events as a Wildcard, being a mum to baby Banks, flying to and from Australia and winning the highly sought-after #1 spot at the SURFER Poll awards... Alana Blanchard found a little extra time to let us in on her top tips to surfing and exploring her home island, Kauai, Hawaii.
The island of Kauai is one of those paradisiacal places… it’s small, remote, largely undeveloped and plays host to a myriad of A+ waves. And as with most wave-rich islands, it’s small shores have born and bred more than its fair share of professional surfers. Alana Blanchard happens to be one of them.
Here, she lets us in on her secrets to the island she calls home... from local beach breaks to the best grub in town.
DO RAD STUFF
- Walk the Kalalau Trail. Lush jungle on the left, Pacific Ocean on the right, the Napali Coast is wild. Check it out here!
- Take a pic at the insta-worthy Queens Bath. It’s pretty much a man made bath with a killer rock jump.
- It does means leaving the beach, but the rainbows, waterfalls and birds of Waimea Canyon are worth the drive.
GRAB A BITE
- Straight off the plane for a caffeine hit at Java Kai.
- Acai at the Aloha Juice Bay in downtown Hanalei Bay.
- The salad buffet at Hanalei Health is my favourite.
FIND FUN BEACH BREAKS
- Anini Beach has a tree swing on the beach, fun and beginner-ish waves out back.
- Hanalei Bay is a great place to walk out on the pier or go for a surf
- Pine Trees in the middle of the bay is also super fun. Don’t forget to respect the locals.
LISTEN TO! TURN IT UP WITH...
- The Jurassic Park theme song
- Inner Bloom by Rufus, with the windows down
- Fran Ocean... everything!
- The “Hula Hana”, you know it!
- Jack Johnson, because it’s his home State.