As the second-to-last event of the year, the MEO Rip Curl Pro Portugal isn’t just another display of excellent surfing - it’s the event that makes and breaks year-long World Title campaigns, and sometimes sees a Champion crowned.
So, what’s possible for the front-runners in Portugal this year? There are only two surfers who can clinch a World Title at Supertubos - Gabriel Medina and Carissa Moore, both precious Champions at the Rip Curl Pro Portugal.
Here are the scenarios:
Women’s CT World Title Scenarios going into Portugal
- If Carissa Moore wins the MEO/Rip Curl Pro, Lakey Peterson needs a 2nd to force a “Surf Off” in Maui;
- If Carissa gets 2nd, Lake Peterson needs a 3rd, Caroline Marks a 1st to take the World Title decision to Maui;
- If Carissa gets a 3rd, Lake needs a 5th, Caroline a 2nd (force a Surf Off), Sally Fitzgibbons a 1st to take WT decision to Maui;
- If Carissa gets a 5th, World Title decision goes to Hawaii.
Men’s CT World Title Scenarios going into Portugal
- If Gabriel Medina wins the MEO/Rip Curl Pro, Filipe Toledo will need a 5th or better, Italo Ferreira a 2nd, to take the World Title decision to Pipe;
- If Gabriel gets 2nd, Filipe will need a 9th or better, Italo a 5th (to force a “Surf Off” at Pipe) or better, Jordy Smith & Kolohe Andino a 3rd or better to take WT decision to Pipe;
- If Gabriel gets 3rd, World Title decision will go to Hawaii.